Thursday, May 21, 2009

Strawberry Pickin'

I remember pickin' strawberries with my mom when I was little and how good they tasted with some powdered sugar on the side when I came in from playing outside with my siblings on a hot summer day. I also remember going to my Ma and Pa's house to pick blackberries and how black my fingers would get, but it was well worth it!!

I remember my mom putting her hair back in a bandanna and sweating through the job of picking berries just to give her family a nice desert treat. Now here I am in my early 30s, trying to give my daughter the same memory. I didn't sweat and work nearly as hard as my mom would, I didn't take Lydia to a family berry location and I didn't wear my hair tied back in a bandanna.

BUT, we did get to pick some wonderful strawberries!!! YUMMO! We traveled to a place right outside of our state line and along with Lydia and her 2 year old buddies, we got to see berries ripe and ready to be picked. Lydia was the first to jump in and pick the first berry and put it in her basket, however she decided very soon that she would rather pick the flowers and play with weeds and sticks...then we had a fun 2 year old meltdown and were ready to call it a day! Thankfully, a trip to McDonalds saved the day!!! We will try it again and just maybe.... I will wear a bandanna!











5 comments:

Valerie said...

Fun times! Let's go again!

Tonya said...

I'm so glad our children got to pick berries together. We should all wear our bandannas next time!

Deaton, party of 5 said...

Love that pic. of Lydia eating the strawberry. Too sweet! I miss you loads friend. Let's get together soon!!!

Kimberly said...

Okay, I am going to be so disappointed if you came to Portland-5 mins from my house and didn't call me.
But really cute pictures. I love Lydia's outfit.

Shannon Maglinger said...

I love the pics! Eating a ripe strawberry in the summer is about one of my favorite things to do! Little Lydia is getting so big! Love ya girl!